November 24, 2017, 10:48:11 PM *
On This Day In Toronto Maple Leafs History Toronto Maple Leafs Blog Toronto Maple Leafs Historical Image Gallery
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: MiltonTalks is a forum for all Halton Hills and Town Of Milton residents. If you want your voice to be heard, JOIN US!!!

Home   Help Arcade Search Login Register Milton FreeCycle Phonebook MyMilton Home  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Milton Freecycle Link  (Read 9115 times)
MyMilton
Founder
Administrator

Welcome To Milton "Let's Talk"

City: Grimaldi
Italy
Italy
Favorite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
« on: May 11, 2005, 11:25:33 PM »

I have put a new navigation link to MiltonFreecycleGrin

I personally believe this is a great idea  Thumbs Up which helps our environment one little bit at a time.

So please do your best to join and participate in this very worthy cause. You can make a difference!!!!

admin
MyMilton
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 11:27:25 PM by MyMilton » Logged

Jeanette
Global Moderator

Recycle with Freecycle!

Canada
Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 07:56:25 AM »

Freecycle has been recognized by the Gov't of Canada  Thumbs Up

Check it out!
http://tinyurl.com/9lcnb
Jeanette
Global Moderator

Recycle with Freecycle!

Canada
Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 10:46:42 AM »

Action Girl Milton Freecycle made the news!!  Action Girl

Check it out!  http://www.haltonsearch.com/hr/mcc/story/2989749p-3465548c.html
MyMilton
Founder
Administrator

Welcome To Milton "Let's Talk"

City: Grimaldi
Italy
Italy
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 11:37:18 AM »

Nice going Jeanette!!! Thumbs Up

Here is the article:

Local Web site saving trash from landfill

Gillian Cormier, Special to the Champion
Aug 23, 2005

As the old saying goes, one person's trash is another's treasure. Now there's an organization in Milton that's making sure nothing ends up in a landfill that could be better suited in someone else's hands.
Milton Freecycle is an on-line community where residents can post items they want to give away, and request used items from other members -- totally free, with no money changing hands. It's part of a grassroots movement that began in 2003 as a way to promote waste reduction in downtown Tucson, Arizona.

The official Freecycle Web site, www.freecycle.org, encourages people to think globally, recycle locally and change the world one gift at a time. The Freecycle Network now has nearly 3,000 communities worldwide and more than 1.5 million members.

"With Milton growing, I hope it becomes a really big thing," said Milton Freecycle chapter founder and Web site moderator Jeanette Murphy.

Last year, after seeing a segment on CBC Market Place on the Tucson Freecycle Network, Ms Murphy was inspired to set up a Milton chapter of Freecycle. By March 2005, Milton Freecycle was up and running.

The Yahoo-based Milton chapter now has 220 members and is growing at a rate of about two new members per day. More than 300 offers for items and 120 inquiries have been posted to date, including everything from car manuals to fax machines.

It's up to the giver to decide who receives the gift they posted, and arrange pick-up or delivery. The communities are run by volunteer moderators, like Ms Murphy, who answer questions and make sure the rules are obeyed.

There aren't many rules, but everything posted on Freecycle Web sites must be free, legal and appropriate for all ages. Ms Murphy also doesn't allow pets to be posted on the Milton chapter Web site because she fears the possibility of abuse, but everything else is fair game.

"People don't normally post absolute garbage," she said. "Right now, some of the best posts are a solar blanket for a swimming pool, toddler beds, magazines, rollerblades, concrete patio stones, computer monitors, a gas lawn mower, blinds and more."

Ms Murphy thinks the site will be a great resource for people in the process of moving, and help to reduce curb-side clutter in Milton.

"When I moved into Milton a year ago, if I knew about Freecycle I would have given away a ton of great stuff," she said. "I've seen some great things sitting on the side of the road. It's heart-wrenching to watch this stuff go."

When it comes to clothing, blankets or similar items, Milton Freecycle encourages the givers to offer these items to charity first. Ms Murphy has also been trying to get local charities to become members of the site, so they can be in a position to receive some of the things they need from the Freecycle community.

Freecycle is a unique way for people in the community to help each other while recycling at the same time, and Ms Murphy said that's why it works.

"The purpose is to save as much stuff as we can from ending up in a landfill," she said. "That's what we're here for."

Like everything in the Freecycle universe, membership is free. The Milton Freecycle Network is located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/milton_freecycle.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:30:23 PM by MyMilton » Logged

Aparna

Welcome To Milton

None
None

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »

Action Girl Milton Freecycle made the news!!  Action Girl

Check it out!  http://www.haltonsearch.com/hr/mcc/story/2989749p-3465548c.html

Great Going.. Jeanette !!!

Is the article suppose to be in Today's Champion ?
Read the article online. Keep up the good work.

"I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive." - Henry Miller.
crickit

Welcome To Milton

City: Brampton
Canada
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 04:12:32 PM »

Good job Jeanette.  I saw you pic in the paper today.  You're famous LOL.  Keep up the good work.  I noticed the article was about Freecycle but the pic of the computor showed Milton Talks.  2 birds with one stone.  Good advertising for both.

BB
Crickit

Aparna

Welcome To Milton

None
None

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 05:01:22 AM »

Good job Jeanette.  I saw you pic in the paper today.  You're famous LOL.  Keep up the good work.  I noticed the article was about Freecycle but the pic of the computor showed Milton Talks.  2 birds with one stone.  Good advertising for both.

BB
Crickit

Yes.. I also saw that.  Smiley
The aritcle was about Freecycle only.. but on the computer it showed Milton Talks website.

"I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive." - Henry Miller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsors of Milton Talks
If you would like your company, business or web site listed here. Please Contact Us for more details
Milton Rotary Club MiltonFreecycle
MiltonTalks MyMilton
RegisterPlanet Toronto Maple Leafs Fan Site
Halton Web Connections HPM
Your Local Restaurant Guide TNT Domains.com
ADVERTISER ARENA: Advertise here to help keep this forum FREE. Contact us through the link above.
Corum Mobile | Creative Trademarks | Golden Horseshoe | Halton County Radial Railway | Register Planet

Check Pagerank
This site is not recognized, approved, sponsored or endorsed by The Town Of Milton and associated logo marks are registered trademarks of The Town of Milton. All other logos and trademarks on this site are property of MiltonTalks.com unless otherwise noted. Any advertising revenue or donations received by MiltonTalks.com go directly towards the costs of running this website and is intended as a for-profit venture.